Our 3rd Annual Team Spelling Bee Fundraiser is coming up quickly. Our goal is to have 15 teams, and we still need 5 more teams! We are looking for supporters to either sign up, sponsor a team, donate, or help us by sharing with your contacts this important (and super fun) fundraising event.
This is the only fundraising event we do at LASS each year. As funding is unpredictable each year, the funds we raise at our spelling bee help us to keep our literacy programs running uninterrupted. It also helps us to keep them free for everyone. You may have volunteered in or attended one or more of our literacy programs:
- One to One Children’s Reading
- Coyote Cafe After School Program
- Unplug & Play Family Literacy Week Events
- Preschool PALS (Parents As Literacy Supporters)
- Cyber Seniors Computer Tutoring
- Books for Babies
- Spread the Word Book Bins
- Adult Learning Advocacy
- Save/Share/Spend Financial Literacy
- Pawsitive Reading with Moby the dog
- Jam the GM
- And many other literacy inititiaves!
[quote style=”5″ author=”Toronto Dominion Report – Literacy Matters, 2007″]“Four in 10 high school youth have insufficient reading skills. Two in 10 university graduates, five in 10 adults, and six in 10 immigrants also have insufficient literacy skills… Canada is losing billions because of illiteracy.”[/quote]
If you have been thinking about taking part in the fun but are concerned about spelling in a crowd, this is not that type of spelling bee. Here is why you want to be there:
- Teams sit together at a table and discuss the correct spelling. Then the team captain writes the team’s choice on a piece of paper and submits it to the judge. No one spells alone (or aloud)!
- You get to dress up as a team and make a really cool team name, such as Bar-beez, Kween Beez, or Downtown Ab-beez (sorry, these names are already taken).
- Breakfast is included! All you can drink coffee! Need I say more?
If you want to support literacy programming in our area but can’t make it to the event, you can be a sponsor! Each eligible donor receives a charitable tax receipt for the donation amount minus the cost of breakfast ($15 per person). Here are the sponsorship levels:
- Gold Sponsor: $1,000 sponsors a full table (8 people). You can choose the team or we can fill it with LASS volunteers or students. This type of sponsorship is great for a local business.
- Silver Sponsor: $500 sponsors a half table (4 people). You can work with another half team or we can put your half-team together with another half-team to make a full team.
- Bronze Sponsor: $100 sponsors 1 seat (1 person). This is great for an individual. You can also gather 7 other individuals (perhaps from your hockey team, book club, or group of friends) who each buy one seat at $100 to make up a team.
We have extended the sign-up deadline to Monday, May 2, 2016! Sign your team up here.
Contact Darcy Calkins by email to email@example.com or phone 250-463-4555 if you would like to be a sponsor or to donate.
As of 2012 almost 46% of adults in BC do not have the literacy skills they need to achieve their goals, to function and thrive in the modern economy, and to develop their knowledge and potential.